Whether you love beautiful, long hair or are trying to grow out your last haircut that went wrong, there are some natural ways to help your hair grow faster – without using extensions!
A number of factors affect the rate of the hair growth of an individual. While some are beyond our control, others can be worked upon to increase the growth rate of hair. Our hair has limited life and gets renewed constantly throughout our life, in cycles. This natural cycle is, however, threatened continuously by factors such as rough weather, poor diet, the products we use and pollution.
Here are a few effective tips you can add to your daily hair care routine to make your hair grow quicker:
1. Protein Packed Diet
Lack of protein is the main reason for dry hair and poor hair growth. To make your hair grow faster, you should eat enough protein. Protein is found in nuts, meat, fish, eggs, milk, soy milk, cheese, lentils and beans. You can also stock up on whey protein milkshakes found in health stores.
2. Right Shampoo
Choose a moisturizing shampoo for your hair type and use it on your hair regularly. Alternate your shampoo with other specialty shampoos depending upon your hair problems like hair fall, dandruff etc.
3. Hair Mask for the Ends
For longer hair, you always need to care for the ends. Use a nourishing hair mask once a week.
4. Vitamin B
Vitamin B helps growth of hair and is highly recommended. Although it is present in most hair products, you can supplement the intake with B Complex tablets or by adding the following to your diet:
- Wheat Germ
- Wholegrain Cereals
- Dried Fruits
5. Hair Massage
Massage your hair everyday or get a professional massage done every week to stimulate blood circulation which will help hair grow faster.
6. Home Remedies
The following can be found in your kitchen and are said to help in growing hair fast. Massage one of these into your hair and rinse off.
- Garlic and Onions: Crush a little to release juices and then apply on the scalp. Leave overnight and rinse next morning.
- Lavender Oil: Massage your hair once a week with lavender oil, wrap hair in a towel, leave for 30 minutes and then rinse off.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is packed with vitamins, minerals and proteins and really does wonders for hair growth. Massage and leave for an hour before rinsing off.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Sage Tea: Mix the two and use as a conditioner. After shampooing, rinse with this mixture.
- Rosemary: Add a few drops of Rosemary oil to your shampoo to stimulate blood circulation.
7. Smoothies for Faster Growth
Here are a few smoothie recipes, rich in all the nutrients essential for hair growth:
Smoothie with soy milk, banana, honey, yeast and cereal
All ingredients in this smoothie are rich in vitamins from the B group. Soy milk is also a good source of protein. This is one of the best smoothies that you can drink for nice, smooth, thick and shiny hair.
1 glass of soy milk
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons yeast
A handful of muesli
Smoothie with whey powder, banana, mango, orange and soymilk
Whey is the most complete form of protein and, especially in combination with soy milk, a true treat for your hair. Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and B12. Mangoes and oranges both contain lots of vitamin C and antioxidants.
3 tablespoons whey powder
1 glass of soy milk
8. Stress-free Sleep
Excessive stress and some medications are known to retard hair growth. Try relaxation techniques to calm your stress. Sleep deprivation also has a negative impact on your hair growth. Always allow adequate sleep.
Healthy diet, adequate exercise and good sleep are the key to hair growth, but if you like, you can use supplements that are known to help hair growth:
Vitamin B complex – 50 mg of the major B vitamins (including folate, biotin and inositol)
Vitamin B-6 – 50 mg of vitamin B-6
Vitamin C with bioflavonoids – one to two grams per day
Vitamin E – 400 to 800 IU per day
Beta-Carotene – 10,000 to 15,000 IU of beta carotene per day
A recommended daily dose of magnesium, sulfur, zinc
Silica (horsetail) – 300 mg daily
Nettle – 250 mg three times daily
Flaxseed oil – one tablespoon per day or one tablet
Beta-Carotene – 10,000 to 15,000 IU beta-carotene per day
Always consult your doctor before adding supplements to your diet. Also take care not to mix supplements with your existing medicines without consulting your health practitioner first.
10. Do’s and Don’ts for hair Growth
- Some hair loss experts have discovered that people excellent results with the “Zone Diet” that is low in fat.
- Stop or reduce smoking.
- Stop taking caffeine and carbonated soft drinks.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid foods high in sugar or fat.
- Handle your hair carefully and avoid unnecessary brushing and combing.
- Avoid using hot water, hot blow dryer or other hair care tools that can damage your hair.
- A weekly scalp massage stimulates and strengthens the hair follicles.
- Trim split ends regularly to grow healthy hair fast.